Apr 19, 2011

Hopalooza

Our ward had a 'Hopalooza' Easter party a few days ago.  The kids entered the art contest.  They created an art piece of what they think the Easter bunny looks like.  I looked at some cute crafts online and let them choose the one they wanted to do.  They both did AWESOME - I definitely have two little artists on my hands.  I helped with some of the cutting and pasting but they did most of it on their own.  I was so proud of them.  They were both SO excited to bring their projects because they both KNEW that they were going to win.  When we got there they had some really cute Easter themed obstacle courses.  For each one you completed you got an Easter egg filled with treats.  We had a super yummy dinner, they auctioned off some Easter baskets to help fund girls camp and then they announced the winners of the kid's art contest.  Brooke was off running around with Katherine but Jace was front and center eager to see the results.  As I got closer I noticed that they had set aside about 5 bunnies - one being Brooke's.  Poor Jace - I knew I was going to have to do damage control.  When they announced Brooke's as being one of the winners Brooke excitedly ran up to collect her pink chocolate bunny.  Jace kept holding up his bunny for them to see and when they were done his face dropped and he looked so disappointed.  He collected his chocolate egg for entering and I went to give him a hug.  He clung to me and started bawling, burying his head in my chest..  He's so competitive and hasn't learned the concept of loosing with dignity and being a good sport.  Then he looked up and in between tears and gasps said "It's YOUR fault mom."  I almost started laughing that he blamed me for his bunny.  "You made me do an ugly bunny.  You kept telling me it was good and you lied."  I told him I liked his a lot but it just depends on what the judges like the best to be the winner.  I felt bad for him.  He soon forgot about it and sat down to eat his dinner and have an oreo cupcake.  Loosing stinks!  I was proud of both of my kids for doing such a fantastic job on their bunnies.

As we left that night Jace had a basket filled to the brim with plastic Easter eggs full of treats. Brooke's was lost. We searched for it in the dark and finally found it ... but it was empty. Craig gave me the look .. like crap someone took all her eggs but when he told her he found her basket and showed it to her she giggled and laughed and said "Thanks daddy - I LOVE you!!" She wasn't sad to see no eggs. Craig asked Jace to look at his basket and then to look at Brooke's basket - which had her little pink chocolate bunny and that was it... and he said "Hers is STILL better." The grass is always greener on the other side I guess. Jace's glass was half empty today. He did decide to share some of his treats with Brooke though and that made me happy. This week we will be working on being more positive and appreciative at the Brammer house.


My two little bunnies with their Easter Bunny Art projects.

Jace's colorful bunny.  Isn't it cute!?  I LOVED it.
Brooke's winning fuzzy bunny.  We traced her hand prints and cut them out for the grass. 
She did all the painting on her own. 

1 comment:

Mommio said...

The bunnies are both adorable, just like the artists who created them. Cute post!