Dec 17, 2009

Be a Healthier You!


I have created a new blog called Healthy Livin' Challenge. The link is http://www.healthylivinchallenge.blogspot.com/. This blog is for those of us that just want to get a little healthier- both body and spirit but need some motivation - maybe a little healthy competition or just to know that they are working towards a common goal with someone else.

The holidays have not been kind to me. I've been eating whatever I want, whenever I want and I haven't been getting enough exercise so I have devised a plan. Actually, I stole the idea from one of my relatives that participated in this last yr (thanks to Sarah & the creator of 6aday). Here is how it works. You acquire points each day; the person with the most points at the end of the challenge wins. The challenge will start on January 1st and end on February 28th.

The daily point system:

*1 point for reading your scriptures each day.
*1 point for eating 5 servings of fruits/veggies each day.
*1 point for exercising 30 min. each day (on Sunday you rest 30 min)
*1 point for not eating any junk food per day.
*1 point for drinking 64oz. of water each day.
*1 point for praying each day.

There are a few exceptions. The weekly (Mon-Sun) total you can get is 40 pts. You get 2 free pts. each week. Ideally, you use your pts. on junk food. This means you can eat 2 servings of sweets or 2 servings of junk food sometime during the week. You pick the day, what food you want and enjoy 1 serving. You can use your 2 free pts. on whatever category you want. If you forget to read or aren't able to exercise, so on etc . . . you pick what you want to use them on.

You will report how many pts. you earned privately to me on each Monday (Sun-Mon) by emailing me at healthylivinchallenge@gmail.com. Sometimes reporting how you have done to someone else helps you keep to your plan. I will randomly post the winners of a single week but will keep the rest a secret so as to keep you motivated. On March 1st I will announce the winner of the Healthy Livin' Challenge.

If you want to join this challenge then please leave a comment letting me know you are in then send an email to me at healthylivinchallenge@gmail.com with your name, address, and email so I can get everyone on a spreadsheet. If you have a blog it might be a good idea to post a temporary notification on there letting your friends know about it or by emailing those you think might be interested. It's always fun to have a little competition with friends! However, if people are joining through you just make sure they are trustworthy because this is all based on honesty. Save the link for the new blog www.healthylivinchallenge.blogspot.com because all new updates regarding this will be put on that blog. Thanks.

Prize?? Once we figure out who will be involved we can decide on a prize. At first I was thinking that everyone participating would just put in $10.00 then whoever had the most points at the end of the challenge would win the pot of money. Some thought that might be considered gambling so I guess we could vote on what everyone wants to do. Some ideas could be to put money together for a gift certificate to Massage Envy for the winner or just have the prize be the satisfaction of being the healthiest person.

I hope you are all ready to become a healthier you. I know I sure am. The challenge begins January 1st!

4 comments:

Ritzville RS said...

Count me in :) Thanks for thinking up a great idea!

Brian & Chelsey Hafen said...

I want in on it! O I'm so excited.

The Olsen Family said...

I'm still trying to decide! That little bag of famous amos cookies EVERYDAY gets me to the next one! I would love to be healthier.....I'll let you know if I can finish off the entire costco box by January 1st. :)

Wayne and Melinda said...

That sounds awesome!! I would totally love to do it!! Thanks for letting me in on your great idea:)