Here are a few pics I took just before he got hurt. Playing outside with trucks and baby. He LOVES playing outside more than any of my other kids. He's an outdoors boy. He sits by the sliding door to the back yard until someone opens it for him. Pretty cute kid!
It happened on Mon. April 15th. I wasn't in the room but Jace and Brooke said he was just walking around and fell backwards on it wrong. I heard his hurt cry and snuggled him. He seemed better. He was a little bit fussier than normal but not much. I felt his arm to determine if it was broken and he winced a little one time and then not at all another time so I just wasn't sure. I watched him closely to see if he would use it and he did. He played with toys and ate his dinner picking things up with his left arm/hand. His hurt arm. I figured it was sprained or bruised. I gave him some Motrin and put him to bed. He fussed for a bit and then went right to sleep. The next day he was great. He was happy and playing with toys, running around, eating normally, using his left arm. The only thing that seemed off was his balance. He was falling more than normal and whenever he landed on that arm he whimpered a hurt cry. I still wasn't sure. It didn't seem like it hurt him that bad. I continually felt his arm to try and determine if it was hurt more than I thought. But it never seemed to bother him unless he fell on it. I gave it another day. On Wed. he was fine as well. He used his arm and happily ran around the house. This is when I noticed that it wasn't that he was falling more than usual but that it just seemed that way because he was crying every time he fell. After I noticed that he preferred to face plant when falling rather than using that arm to catch his fall I decided to take him into Instacare just to be sure. I thought they would think I was crazy since he was running around the waiting room playing with cars with the supposed hurt arm. After they examined it they thought it was most likely just bruised but decided to do some X - rays just to be sure. He sat quietly while they did the X-rays. We waited for the results. I called Craig and told him to pick out a movie since we would be home soon. Moments later the Dr. came in and said it was HORRIBLY broken and that he needed to be seen by an Orthopedic Surgeon TONIGHT. WHAT!?! They told me to rush him to the ER and that they would call ahead and tell them I was on my way. I stopped at home so daddy could kiss him and so I could pack a quick snack for him and his blankie. Hardest part of the whole night was waiting 2 hours in the ER. He was tired and had a hard time getting comfortable enough to fall asleep in my arms. I paced the room holding him. When we finally got back the ER Dr. said the Instacare DR. overreacted. He had a buckle fracture which are common in children his age. It looks horrible on an X-ray but they heal quickly and aren't very painful to the child unless they are putting pressure on it. That made sense. She put a splint on it and gave me a referral for an Orthopedic to get a cast on.
The next morning Ty figured out that he could clamp onto the top part of the splint with his teeth and rip it off. He did NOT like it on there. Soon after we went to the Orthopedic and got a little blue cast on. They told us it is to remain on for 3 weeks and to make sure and keep it dry and clean. Easier said than done. This kid is an exceptional puddle finder in the back yard. He can open bathroom doors and turn on the tub by himself. We are watching him like a hawk. I have to spoon feed him with anything messy so as not to get the cast messy. The kids were excited to sign it. It looked so cute. Ty hated having it on though. After trying to rip it off the entire weekend he finally succeeded Monday morning. The receptionist was shocked that he actually got it off and just laughed. We made another appt. to get a new cast on.0
We had to go back to the orthopedic and get a new cast that goes up his whole arm bent at a 90 degree angle so he can't get it off. He hates it. He tried desperately to bite it off like a little beaver the first few days. Sorry dude, this ones NOT coming off. A week and a half later he's finally getting used to it.
5 comments:
Would you please sign that cast grandpa Larry -- that little boy is so precious!! DAD
He is such a cute little skunk! Your family is super adorable. I'm so happy Craig got the job and you guys will be on your way soon.
He is a little doll. What a tough little guy--he looks cute with a cast!
Poor little guy! He looks darling in this cast though!
I am a little behind on your blog! This is so sad! Poor guy!
Post a Comment